Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Puppies, Unicorns & Rainbows

If only life guaranteed puppies, unicorns & rainbows all the time.  I try to focus on the positive in this happy little blog but the truth is, parenting has a lot of ups and an equal amount of downs.  A major down in our house lately is bedtime.  Sounds pretty simple but has proved to be quite complicated.  We have stubborn, stubborn kids.  They are soooo tired yet they will not go to sleep.  Well, the older ones that is.  Emmett is down for the count by 7:00 p.m. without so much as a peep.  Brooklyn and Jameson "party" in their rooms for hours.  If you are thinking that we are putting them down too early, you are wrong.  They are so tired but they like to fight it off.  Super annoying. 

I had given in the partying because one can only yell so much.  That is until last night.  Brooklyn started sobbing two hours in to her party for one so I went to check on her and she had pushed her window open (a feat for me) and had popped her screen out.  Got chills?  Imagine being me.  I was so angry, scared and angry again.  I scolded her and promptly jammed a piece of wood to block the opening of the window until Brett is back to install a second locking mechanism.  My first real life panic attack followed.  My brain flooded with all of the horrible things that could have happened.  Ugh.  Parenting.

So, today I became Mini-Kim.  My mom used to sit above the spiral staircase (you read that right, a sweeeet pink spiral staircase to boot) and say, "I can still hear you." to my sister and me in our tiny bunkbeds until we were in high school.  We would try so hard to whisper so she wouldn't hear us but her super sonic hearing would prove us wrong every time.  Now, here I am sitting in a chair in the hallway outside my kids room.  While sitting there I am hoping, praying, that I won't be sitting there until they are in high school.  But with our chatterboxes, it will probably be college.  Goodbye evenings, hello night security job. 

1 comment: