Saturday, January 14, 2012

Baby Maeve's Party

Today we headed up the hill (literally) to Baby Maeve's party.  This was my first solo outing, to a new place, with the three kids.  I am not afraid to go places, I more like to preserve the friendships that I have by not unleashing my wild monkeys in their homes.  I guess I should probably lighten up.

Let me back up a bit, before we headed up the hill it had started to lightly snow.  We probably had about an inch of slush on the roads.  No problem, we have four wheel drive!  So, I layered the kids, grabbed the diaper/entertainment bag and headed out.  I was literally lecturing myself all six minutes up the hill.  "You can do it Tamara!  Your kids aren't that wild." etc.

By the time we got up the hill there was probably about four inches of snow on the road.  Not joking.  It was a freakin' blizzard!  As you can imagine, the snow storm brought some chaos to the party.  We are from Washington so everyone was worried about the roads, etc.  Maureen, Maeve's Mom, said it perfectly, "It was the shortest first year birthday party in the record books!"  We ate, watched Maeve open gifts, sang Happy Birthday and ate cake all in half an hour.  Efficient.

The kids were pretty good and listened probably 75% of the time.  I can't complain, better than 0%!  I am so bummed that I forgot to get my camera out to snap some photos.  It was evident that Maureen and Vitaliy had put an immense amount of work into party prep.  Amazing decorations, food, slideshow, music, gift bags, cookies, on and on.  It was beautiful!  Maeve was dressed to the nines and looked so adorable.

After the festivities wrapped up we headed to the car and were greeted by at least six - eight inches of snow.  It was nuts!  Going back down the hill was sketchy at best but we just took it slow and made it home just in time to go out and eat snow.  I would say play but the kids enjoyed eating the snow the most.

We were so happy to help Maeve celebrate her first year and happy to survive the storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment