Saturday, October 15, 2011

Tears and Laughter, Sometimes Combined

So, like I have said many times, we are done having kids.  Adoption or Fostering may be in our future, far future, but this womb is closed for business.  Therefore, it makes sense to rid ourselves of everything baby as Emmett grows.  Sigh.

My recent endeavor was to start sorting through the dozens (literally) of totes full of baby clothes.  My sister Melissa and I tackled the girl clothes a few weeks ago and while it was emotional, all five cousins were running/crawling wild so I was super distracted. 

Boy clothes, all alone.  Apparently not a good idea.  Pulling out the outfits that we brought Jameson and Emmett home from the hospital in instantly brought tears to my eyes.  I put them in the one tote I saved full of "memorable" outfits/jammi's and saw the outfit we brought Brooklyn home in.  More tears.  It was pathetic I was smelling them to see if any of them still had that "baby" smell.  No luck.  Brett then came in from the garage and thought the scene was pretty funny.  Yes, I was still taking my back meds.  Enter the laughter. 

Baby videos.  Oh, the baby videos.  Brooklyn wanted to see what she looked like as a baby so we decided to connect our video camera to the TV and watch videos.  More tears.  How did she get so big?!?  Ugh.  It was funny and emotional for me to watch and just reinforced the old cliche that time flies.  It was helpful in that I sure am stealing a lot more hugs and kisses from the kiddos before I become their weird Mom and they insist drops them off a block away from school, the mall, etc.  I am also videoing Emmett more because let's be honest, there aren't many videos of him.  There are HOURS of Brooklyn sleeping in her swing, on the floor, in her crib, in the car and ONE of him sleeping...in the background in his swing.  Sorry Emmett!

I know what you are all thinking, they are not done.  But, trust me, we are.  When our dinner table becomes a mini riot or when all three decide that it would be fun to cry together in the car during a long road trip, we look at each other and say, yep, we're done.  Done.  But, that doesn't make it any easier.  I love babies.  So, friends of mine, if you have a baby...fully expect me to come over to pinch their cheeks and smell them.  It's not weird.  You've been warned.   

No comments:

Post a Comment